What is Noise-Induced Hearing Loss?
Noise induced hearing loss is due to exposure to a loud noise. People will want to avoid exposure to loud noises as much as possible. This time of year, fireworks are often shot off. You may find yourself shooting them off yourself or going to a show. It is imperative that you do all that you can to protect your hearing.
Signs of Hearing Loss
There are many symptoms that are often associated with noise-induced hearing loss. These symptoms include:
- Loss of hearing. You may have a loss of hearing in one or both ears. The severity will depend on how close you were to the loud noise.
- Ringing in the ears. Ringing in the ears can happen after a loud noise. The ringing may come or go. It may also be loud or faint. For some people, their ears ring so bad it interrupts their daily activities. Some people have also reported that instead of ringing, they hear a buzzing in the ear.
- Pain. For some people, they may experience pain in the ears after exposure to loud noises. This pain can range in severity.
- Stuffiness. Some people have reported a feeling of stuffiness in the ear. They have described it to be like cotton in the ears.
- If you have had exposure to loud noises, visit a hearing care specialist to check for hearing loss issues. But, if you protect yourself from loud noises, you should be able to avoid any hearing loss.
Protection Against Loud Noises
The biggest way to protect yourself against loud noises is to use ear protection. Ear protection will still allow you to be in loud environments, but you will not be as affected by the noises. This will help to protect your hearing. Ear plugs and earmuffs are all a great way to help your hearing.
It is important that you are only using quality ear protection. Whatever ear protection you use, you will want to ensure that it is inside your ear and that you can't hear the noise. Using a less than quality product can allow for loud noise exposure.
If you do not have hearing protection, try to distance yourself from the loud noises. The further away that you are, the better. If you are right up against the loud noises, you will suffer from noise-induced hearing loss.
Call Us Today
At Family Hearing Centers, we want to help you protect your hearing. We can help you to find ways to protect your hearing. If you have hearing loss, our hearing care experts will be able to determine what kind of hearing loss you have. We can help you to determine what type of hearing aids you need, and help to educate you on how to care for them. Please give us a call today for all your hearing needs.